Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act
Bipartisan legislation to strengthen and improve career and technical education (CTE). Introduced by Reps. Glenn “GT” Thompson (R-PA) and Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL), the legislation reauthorizes the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act and will help more students gain the knowledge and skills they need to compete for in-demand jobs.
The proposal is largely identical to legislation the House of Representatives passed in September 2016 by an overwhelming vote of 405 to 5. The committee is expected to consider the legislation in the coming weeks, reflecting the urgent priority to improve career and technical education for today’s and future generations. Members leading the effort issued the following statements after the bill was introduced:
Specifically, the legislation will:
- Deliver states more flexibility to use federal resources in response to changing education and economic needs.
- Ensure career and technical education prepares all students, including historically disadvantaged and vulnerable students, for success in high-skill, high-wage occupations and careers in nontraditional fields.
- Improve alignment with in-demand jobs by supporting innovative learning opportunities, building better community partnerships, and encouraging stronger engagement with employers.
- Enhance career and technical education through increased focus on employability skills, work-based learning opportunities, and meaningful credentialing so students are prepared to enter the workforce poised for success.
- Streamline performance measures to ensure career and technical education programs deliver results for students and taxpayers.
- Reduce administrative burdens and simplify the process for states to apply for federal resources.
- Reward success and innovation by directing federal resources to replicate promising practices that best serve students and employers.
- Provide parents, students, and stakeholders a voice in setting performance goals and evaluating the effectiveness of state and local programs.
- Empower state and local leaders to develop plans that improve the quality of career and technical education and take into account unique local and state needs.
Bill SponsorRep. Glenn Thompson (R PA-5)
Bill Cosponsors (28)Rep. Bradley Byrne (AL-1)
Rep. Lloyd Smucker (R PA-16)
Rep. Drew Ferguson (R GA-3)
Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi (D IL-8)
Rep. Katherine M. Clark (MA-5)
Rep. James R. Langevin (D RI-2)
Rep. Richard Nolan (MN-8)
Rep. Elise Stefanik (NY-21)
Rep. Jason Lewis (R MN-2)
Rep. Virginia Foxx (R NC-5)
Rep. Robert C. Scott (D VA-3)
Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D OR-1)
Rep. Kurt Schrader (D OR-5)
Rep. Patrick Meehan (R PA-7)
Rep. Paul Mitchell (R MI-10)
Rep. Joe Courtney (D CT-2)
Rep. Glenn Grothman (WI-6)
Rep. Donald Norcross (NJ-1)
Rep. Alex Mooney (WV-2)
Rep. John Culberson (R TX-7)
Rep. Randy Hultgren (R IL-14)
Rep. Joe Wilson (R SC-2)
Rep. Ryan Costello (PA-6)
Rep. Mike Bishop (MI-8)
Rep. Steve Stivers (R OH-15)
Rep. Evan Jenkins (WV-3)
Rep. Matthew Cartwright (PA-17)
Rep. Carlos Curbelo (FL-26)